Saturday, April 30, 2011

Rodin







A couple weeks ago I visited the Rodin Museum in Paris during my lunch break. I have never really understood Rodin or his artistic philosophy, but after seeing the progression of his style and learning about his inspirations, I am now officially a fan. Instead of providing you with bibliographic details, which you can find for yourself via Google, I thought I would share some of my favorite quotes by Rodin as well as some photos of my visit to the museum.

“If the artist only reproduces superficial features as photography does, if he copies the lineaments of a face exactly, without reference to character, he deserves no admiration. The resemblance which he ought to obtain is that of the soul.”

“There is nothing ugly in art except that which is without character, that is to say, that which offers no outer or inner truth.”

“Art is contemplation. It is the pleasure of the mind which searches into nature and which there divines the spirit of which Nature herself is animated.”

 “There are unknown forces in nature; when we give ourselves wholly to her, without reserve, she lends them to us; she shows us these forms, which our watching eyes do not see, which our intelligence does not understand or suspect.”

 “I invent nothing, I rediscover.”

No comments:

Post a Comment