Saturday, April 30, 2011

Geneva, Switzerland

On Friday, April 29, I visited Geneva, Switzerland as a requirement for two of my classes this semester: International Political Economy and International and Supranational Governance of the 21st Century. Despite having to get up early (5:00am), I was able to get some sleep on the train to Geneva. When we arrived, we immediately made our way to WIPO (World Intellectual Property Organization), where we listened to a presentation followed by a question and answer session. After the WIPO, we ate our packed lunches as we walked to the WTO. At the WTO we listened to another presentation and interestingly enough, we were there the day that the chairman of the general council addressed the members of the WTO on the status of the Doha round of negotiation, so we got to see a lot of diplomats and interesting things going on. 

After our meetings we had some free time to explore the city. Some of my friends and I got some caffeinated beverages and snacks and then went exploring around Lake Geneva, where we saw the famous Jet D'Eau, also know as the Geneva Water Jet. Afterward, we meet up with the group again to walk around the Old City, which was gorgeous. By the time we finished with that, it was time to buy sandwiches for dinner and wait for our train back to Paris. Overall, despite only having a day in Geneva, it was really cool to see everything, and now I can say I have been to Switzerland!

Check out this tourist video I found about Geneva. Despite being cliché, I feel like it adequately summarizes what I saw. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment