Saturday, April 16, 2011

Gaudi

Antoni Gaudi was a Catalan architect and the best-known representative of Catalan Modernism, similar to the French Art-Nouveau style of architecture. Gaudi’s inspiration beyond his style can be found in a variety of different art and architecture including oriental arts from India, Persia, and Japan and the French neo-gothic movement, with which he incorporated his own elements including naturalistic forms based on places he had visited in Spain. All these influences are reflected in Gaudi’s work including the use of geometrical forms such as the hyperbolic paraboloid, the hyperboloid, the helicoid and the cone, as well as his signature catenary curve. In addition to stone forms, stain glass, iron, and carpentry, Gaudi is also well know for his incorporation of ceramic tiles, which adorn many of his buildings, adding an often forgotten dimension to his buildings - the use of color. The combination of all these elements in Gaudi's work give the viewer a truly breathtaking visual experience. 

During my trip to Barcelona, I visited two of Gaudi’s masterpieces—Sagrada Família and Park Güell —and saw a couple others in passing. On my first full day in Barcelona, we visited the Gothic Quarter and the Picasso Museum, got lunch, and then made our way to the Sagrada Família . This magnificent structure has been under construction since 1882 and it's not expected to be completed for another 30 to 80 years, although the current estimated date of completion is 2026, the hundredth anniversary of Gaudi’s Death. Visiting Sagrada Família I truly didn’t know what to expect. I had seen pictures, but I had never been able to really conceptualize what exactly it looked like. When I stepped out of the metro and turned around to see the structure for the first time, however, I admit, I was blown away. I had never seen anything like it in my life. The form, the color, the detail, everything was so different. Walking inside made me feel like I was entering another world reminiscent of the castle in The Little Mermaid.
 

Western Nativity Facade
Eastern Glory Facade

Helicoid Columns Facing North

Hyperboloid vault
Hyperbolic Paraboloid  Windows
Ceiling Above the High Altar

Vignette above the Nativity Façade Main Portal
After Sagrada Familia, we visited Park Güell , which was also designed by Gaudi. I had seen photographs of the park as well as all the souvenir mosaic figurines in the tourist shops, but like Sagrada Familia I was once again surprised by what I discovered. After hiking up a giant hill, we arrived at the top of the park with views of the entire city, including the Sagrada Familia. From there we descended down towards the part that Gaudi designed. When we got there the size and detail of mosaic bench, the longest in the world, was astounding. After taking a break on the bench we decided to descend a little more and discovered a very cool colonnade of columns that when inside resembled being inside a capsizing wave. Next we descended some more underneath the bench overhang and discovered more mosaics that lead us to the entrance to the park and the famous dragon statue. Overall, I loved the combination of innovative structural forms at the park and incorporation of detailed color mosaics.

The Longest Bench in the World
Pavilion 1
Pavilion 2 With 4-Armed Cross

Colonnaded Pathway
The Dragon
Park Entrance
Finally, on our last day in Barcelona, after navigating through road construction and a marathon (I can now halfheartedly say I have run in a marathon), we made it to the airport shuttle and were just settling in when we unexpectedly drove by the Casa Batlló. While I don’t know much about this building, I found it aesthetically beautiful and a perfect end to my visit to Barcelona.

Casa Batlló

No comments:

Post a Comment