Friday, April 1, 2011

Coppélia

Wednesday, I went to the Opéra Garnier, which is used for ballet spectacles or performances, where I saw Coppélia. The comical ballet is about a mysterious and faintly diabolical inventor, Doctor Coppélius who makes a life-size dancing doll. It is so lifelike that Frantz, a village swain, becomes infatuated with it, and sets aside his true heart's desire, Swanhilde, who later shows him his folly by dressing as the doll and pretending to come to life. My favorite parts were the gorgeous Opéra Garnier itself, the beautiful costumes the dancers wore, and the fact that I actually understood what was going on (thank you Wikipedia). Because no photography is permitted during the performance and the fact that I toured the Opéra last week, I decided not to take my camera. Luckily, I was able to find photographs and videos online. Enjoy!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment