Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fermé

On Monday, myself and a friend ventured out during our lunch break to try and check some things off of our Parisian tourist to do lists, however, Paris was not exactly accommodating. First, we planned to visit the Catacombs located near the metro stop right by our school and get gellato at the market afterward, however both the Catacombs and the gellato place are closed on Mondays. Thus, we decided to take the metro up to Les Invalides to visit the Rodin Museum and see Napoleon's Tomb, however, yup you guessed it, both of these places were closed too. I could have understand if Monday was just a universal day off for some people in France, however, the Hôtel des Invalides is only closed on the first Monday of every month, which ads so much more to my frustration with the strange French system. Nevertheless, we decided to make the best out of the good weather and walked around the outside of l'Hôtel des Invalides and a nearby park.

Afterward, I took the metro back to school and on the way I stopped by a chocolate shop to admire their window display for Easter and ended up buying a candied clementine, which I have been meaning to try since I found out that they existed during my vacation in Nice, however, I am still not sure weather I liked it or not. It had a very different consistency that I had expected, with a tough outside shell and a liquid inside. Next, I decided to visit the Montparnasse Cemetery, which was very interesting, because it was very different from those in the United States with it's above ground tombs and the detail that goes into their construction and decoration. Overall, despite everything I wanted to visit being closed, I still feel like I made the best of the time I had and am looking forward to visiting the Catacombs and getting gellato tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment