Sunday, February 6, 2011

Sainte Chapelle

This morning I woke up really early and attempted to meet up with a friend at Sainte Chapelle. Unfortunately, this was easier said than done. I knew in advance that line 1 was under construction till 10:00AM on Sundays so I had planed to take the RER line that ran parallel, however when I got there, policemen were blocking the way, and said that I would have to find another way to get to my destination. Thus the fun began, including taking a line South and cutting back up North and then finally to the East. Overall, a trip that should have lasted no more that 20-30 minutes ended up taking me over an hour.

However, once I arrived at my destination, it was clear that any inconvenience was well worth it. Sainte Chapelle was so breathtakingly beautiful. I had seen photographs of the huge stain glass windows and had been looking forward to visiting the chapel, but I honestly felt like I was in a different world the moment I walked in. Every inch of the chapel was ornately decorated and the walls were almost all transparent stained glass. I remember reading somewhere that all the churches used to be painted and decorated in a similar manner, so it was quite interesting to see a church relatively intact compared to its contemporaries, which remain skeletons of their former glory. I will definitely will be revisiting the chapel again, perhaps at different times of day to see the different lighting effects created by it's massive windows or maybe even for a concert!

P.S. Dad: I wish you could be here to see the chapel in person, but in lieu of your absence I hope you enjoy these photographs instead. 









2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh, these pictures are seriously the bees knees.

    heh, you know i just wanted to say that.

    but really - gorgeous pictures! those stained glass windows are totally amazing. :) i wish i knew more about architecture and art history to really appreciate it, but even to my untrained eye, it's beautiful. :)

    and it sounds like you're getting to know your way around paris really well!

    hope classes and everything are going well...! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it really was the "Monkey's Eyebrows." Saint-Chappelle is a Gothic Cathedral built on the Ile de la Cité near Notre Dame during the reign of Louis IX. It is most well know for it's stained glass windows, the majority of which are authentic (a rarity in Gothic cathedrals).

    The metro situation has definitely improved, although I still have difficultly determining how long it will take me to get from point A to B, but I'm getting there.

    Classes are definitely going well now that they are all in English. I am having a trouble focusing on school work, but I am trying.

    ReplyDelete