Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mes Cours

Color Coordinated!
I have now begun all my classes for the semester, and despite a minor problem, I am looking forward to all of them.

On Monday, I started with the History of Paris through Art and Architecture.

Next, I hurried to the Institut Catholique where I was going to take Modern Art. When I got there I went to the room in which I was told the course would be held, but the door was locked. I decided that this was probably just an instance of French timing, however after several people approached the door who were in my class, and then walked away and did not return, I began to think something was wrong. I even checked with a secretary and a librarian, and only received the correct information after pleading with the secretary for a second time that the door was locked and the class was clearly not in there. After this she went and checked with one of her colleagues and returned to tell me that my class that had started 15 minutes ago was in another class room on another floor, which is where I quickly proceeded to go. When I arrived all the desks we taken, so I made my way past everyone to the back of the room when I spoted a chair. Upon sitting down, I noticed that a photograph of the Last Judgment in the Sistine Chapel was being projected, which seemed odd for a Modern Art course, so I began to worry again that I was once again in the wrong place. By the end of the course which included many more similar images and a incomprehensible lecture, I was convinced that I was in the wrong class. However, upon asking a student next to me, I was informed that I was in the right place. Despite this small victory, however, the fact that I understood only parts of sentences every 5 minutes during the lecture made it rather obvious to me that me and the class were not meant to be.

Thus, a little discouraged, I returned to he IES Center, where I explained what had happened and promptly switch into another course at the center (taught in English). While I am a little unsure of my decision and would have liked to have tested my French language abilities, I have consoled myself by setting new goals for the semester. I would like to join a french language conversation group, attend lectures in French regarding art, politics, etc., and I will strive to read more newspapers, magazines, and books in French.

After all this uncertainty, I am happy to report that all the rest of my classes went well including: International Political Economy, International and Supranational Governance in the 21st Century, Luxury Marketing, and Advanced French. The first two in this list will certainly test me quite a bit, but I am looking forward to the challenge.

I have already started receiving assignments too. In addition to regular french grammar exercises and a few routine readings, my favorite so far was going to the new Ralph Lauren store in St. Germain de Prés. It was probably the greatest homework assignment I have ever had. In addition to homework, I have also had to start to think about research topics. For the History of Paris through Art and Architecture, I think I will continue my research of the Abbey Church of Saint Denis and the transition from Romanesque to Gothic Architecture. More interestingly, for International Political Economy, I want to research the effect of the black market antiquities trade and what solution have been proposed.

Overall, life is pretty good right now and I have many things to be grateful for and look forward to.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha you WOULD be one to color coordinate your school supplies... ;D

    it sounds like an adventurous first day! :O you got to test out your french, though, and it would seem that you passed just fine (or at least managed to get yourself to and out of class). actually, i really admire you for even taking classes in a foreign language... i don't know if i could do it! it probably helps that these courses don't count to your gpa... so at least you don't have to worry about fully understanding. ;)

    your pictures of versailles are super beautiful!! :)

    as you probably know, while you were hurrying around to class, we were sitting around waiting for the ice storm to pass. after two snow days, i'm actually kind of glad to be back in class...! :O

    have a nice weekend! (which i am sure you will!)

    ReplyDelete