Thursday, January 20, 2011

Ma Première Semaine...Thus Far


Yesterday during orientation we discussed the scarily accurate roller coaster of emotions that students studying abroad usually go through in a semester including: euphoria in the pre-departure stage, dominated by idealistic stereotypes; increased anxiety as the departure approaches (and everyone tells you how lucky you are while you are freaking out inside, but you can’t say anything because people will think you are ungrateful); mixed feelings of joy and frustration after arrival as you begin to learn more logistically, linguistically, and culturally; gradual acceptance of your circumstances and an adaptation to the things that you like as well as polite toleration for the things you don’t; and finally, although hard to believe at our present stage, apprehension regarding returning home and re-acclimating to the United States at the end of the semester.

Currently I think I am somewhere in between anxiety and mixed feelings of joy and frustration. I have conquered my fear of getting lost on the metro, but those fears have given way to new ones inspired by the discussion of personal security, particularly in the metro. For example, we have been advised to not make eye contact with fellow travelers for fear of offending anyone or attracting unwanted attention. If we do receive unwanted attention, i.e. people you don’t know approaching you and asking you questions or harassing you, we are supposed to say nothing and walk/run away depending on the severity of the situation.

I have also learned many inventive ways pickpockets operate, like one person bumping into you while another reaches into your bag and steals your wallet; children waiting after the entrance to the metro to observe you put your metro card in your wallet so that they can more easily steal it; stealing phones, bags, etc. as the subway doors are closing ensuring an easy getaway with the stolen items; and unrelated to the metro, people offering you a paper as you are sitting at a table, while they are secretly stealing what they have covered up with the paper.

Despite learning about these scary experiences, I am happy to say that many things are going well. My room at my host family’s apartment is in the 8th arrondissment and it is awesome. It is bigger than my room in the United States complete with beautiful architecture, my own balcony and bathroom with a sink and a shower (I will create a short video of my room in the near future). Interestingly enough in France most apartments only have one room with a toilet and a sink, and according to french etiquette the door to this room must always be closed, so make sure that you lock it securely when inside because that is the only way to determine whether or not it is occupied. 

la moulure dans ma chambre
After a failed shopping trip at a local pharmacy, I have discovered les supermarchés similar to those in the United States with the exception of some different brands. One thing I cannot find anywhere however remains lined paper because apparently notebook paper in France is gridded not lined, a difference I haven’t learned to embrace quite yet.

Following a few days without the Internet the signal suddenly started working again today, such a French thing to happen. Yesterday, I also got my cell phone and was even able to call home for a reasonable rate in lieu of using Skype, which required the Internet. 

mon nouveau portable
The food has been delicious. I’ll have to try to control myself more and remember to take photos before I eat everything on my plate, so you can see what I’m talking about. So far the best was yesterday evening when my host mom got me a delicious chocolate éclair for dessert. Yum!

Today, I began intensive language classes and on Monday, January 31, I start my regular courses. I will be taking History of Paris Through Art and Architecture, International Political Economy, Introduction to Luxury Marketing, Advanced French, and a to be determined course at the Institut Catholic, most likely Egyptian Art History. Overall, I have quite a lot to look forward to, and I am sure it will continue to improve as I begin to venture out in Paris more and become comfortable with my surroundings.

2 comments:

  1. ah, it sounds wonderful! :) glad you're still feeling optimistic and excited... not too intimidated i hope!

    it sounds like you have nice arrangements... hope you'll write more about your host family (your family members, what they're like, etc) and i'm looking forward to that video. :)

    can't wait to read more about your experiences... and looking forward to those yummy pics of food...!

    good luck with classes and i hope everything continues to go really well. :) is it snowing there? (i assume it snows in france? D:) it's snowing here... not sure whether to be happy or sad about that hahaha.

    ReplyDelete