Monday, January 17, 2011

Bonjour de Paris!


After a sleepless night before my departure and an infuriating sleepless flight, I arrived in Paris at 6:00 this morning ready to go to bed. In lieu of this tempting course of action, however, I decided to attempt to acclimate myself to the local time and learn my way around Paris.

Throughout the course of my day, despite almost getting run over by cars and wandering aimlessly around metro stations trying to find my way, quite a few events today stood out as "pinch me" moments, especially catching glimpses of le tour Eiffel, beau Paris, and la Seine from a subway car.

Overall, while part of me is tired and overwhelmed, another part is excited beyond belief and ready to conquer a new city. Now if I could just skip all this acclimation stuff and get on to the fun stuff.

2 comments:

  1. sorry to hear about your sleep deprivation, but the decision to not take a nap upon arriving was probably a good idea. :) i would imagine you will soon get over the jet-lag and have a great time! just try not to look like a lost american girl...! ;)

    have you already met/settled in with your host family? take lots of pics (though i know you will... hahaha). as of now, i have no roommate to replace you, so i've been trying to enjoy the solitude. the bathroom still smells... so nothing here has changed much, except that jessica is no longer our RA - looks like i won't be getting sweet snacks on thursday nights anymore! :(

    also, i got your email - the pictures were hilarious! :) i really don't like the belief that animals don't go to heaven... they're God's creatures too, aren't they? :\ i hope, at least, that i will see my pets when i die and go to heaven... :D i would send the email back to you (it says to send it back at the bottom) but i would imagine your inbox already has plenty of clutter, so i won't.

    anyway, i'll stop spamming up your blog. the fun stuff has already begun, i'm sure! :D how was your dinner, by the way? i'm sure the food is wonderful. (jealous! all i have now is dining hall! :O)

    hope your first days go well (and the other days, of course, but the first days in particular). looking forward to your next blog entries. :)

    -courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. As soon as arrived this morning, I went to my homestay and met my host mom and then I met her husband when he got back from work this evening. They're very kind and helpful. I have been trying to speak to them only in French, which is good except when I need to understand what they are saying back to me. It's a little frustrating now, but I'm sure it will improve over time.

    The food here is good. I am just waiting for my body to readjust so that I am hungry when it's actually time to eat. Tomorrow I am planing a trip to the supermarché so I'll let you know how that goes.

    I guess your own room is a good thing for you, but the bathroom situation is unfortunate...try emailing physical plant again? The least they could do is get air freshener.

    ReplyDelete